There are so many fun and exciting things happening the month of June! For starters, the first official day of summer is this month! We have a day all about celebrating dads, and one all about our best friends. For more fun to look forward to this month, check out our list of important dates below. And of course follow our social media to see what fun events we will be holding at Palisades at Jaguar City. Everyone is invited! So if you’re just visiting Baton Rouge for the day or here for orientation at Southern, stop on by!
The beauty in the month of May is not just the small changes that let you know Spring is almost over and Summer is right around the corner, but also all the different days you should add to your calendar to celebrate. There are many different occasions worth mentioning that happen within the 31 days of May, but listed below are a few of our favorites and why:
May Day- celebrated on May 1st, is a different celebration depending on where you are in the world on that day. No matter where you are though, use this day to take a moment to smell the flowers blooming around you and enjoy the changing scenery!
Cinco de Mayo- celebrated on May 5th, not to be confused with the celebration of Mexican Independence which is celebrated on May 16th. Cinco de Mayo has molded into a day filled with songs, dances, and family gatherings to celebrate the rich Mexican and Hispanic culture.
National Teachers Day- celebrated on May 9th, gives you the perfect opportunity to tell a teacher/professor how much of an impact they have made in your life. A teacher is an individual who gives their life to help enrich yours, tell them thank you!
Mother’s Day- celebrated on May 13th this year, lands on the second Sunday of May each year. Use this day to celebrate your mom and all she has done to help you get to where you are today. Mother’s Day is not reserved for just one person, this is a day to celebrate any woman who has made an impact in your life in a motherly way.
Memorial Day- celebrated on May 28th this year, is a day we dedicate to all of our service men & women who have given their lives to protect our freedom and country. Most will celebrate this holiday by attending a parade or honoring and remembering those who have served, past and present.
Mark your calendars & plan something fun and memorable to do with your neighbors, your friends, and your family! School is almost out and the summer fun will begin before you know it.
1. Get plenty of sleep during finals week and especially the night before your exam(s)! You may be a night owl and run off of 4-5 hours of sleep per night, but you will be surprised how getting a good night sleep can make you feel! It has been my experience that getting a good night sleep can result in better focus, concentration, memory retention, attitude, and so much more!
2. Eat a good meal before your exam! How many of us have gotten to class or an exam only to find our stomachs growling? What happens? Well, for me, all I can think about is “When can I get some food!?” I’m not at all focused on class or the exam that I might be taking! When it comes to final exams, you need to be as focused as possible. So, eat a good meal before your exam! Also, if you get hungry quickly or if you have back to back exams, make sure to bring snacks to eat in between your exams.
3. Stay positive! Sometimes, a positive attitude can be all the difference between doing well and not doing well on an exam. You may know the material front and back from studying, but sometimes all you need to have is a little confidence in yourself and a positive attitude.
4. Don’t procrastinate! Let’s be honest, we’re all guilty of procrastinating from time to time. Maybe you have a big assignment, project, or test coming up, and you wait until the last minute to do it or study for it. You think that you have all of the time in world! Sometimes, this results in luck coming your way, and you do fine on the assignment, project, or test. However, I would say for the majority of the time, it results in us doing poorly on the assignment, project, or test. The worst feeling is knowing that we know that we could have done better with ample time and commitment, but we chose not to put forth the effort.
5. Do your best, nothing less! Let’s be honest, at the end of the day, final exams are a nightmare for the majority of us! None of us look forward to them. Sometimes, even with doing all of the right things, the results still do not turn out like we wish that they would. Maybe you pass the class, but didn’t get the grade that you had wished for. Maybe you didn’t do well at all, and you have to repeat the class. These situations can be tough spots to be put in. However, at the end of the day, if you know that you have done your best, you can proudly hold your head up high and be proud of your results, because you know that you put your everything into getting ready for this exam!